As part of our 'chameleon' series, Kay Molyneux tells us how she crafted Bubbalux to look like rusted metal.
Believe it or not, this candle holder is crafted from blue Bubbalux! It just goes to show that with a bit of imagination, paste and paint, Bubbalux can be transformed to look like rusted metal, only much easier to craft, lighter and unique to you.
Die cutter with a cogs die - we recommend the 'Gadget Gears' Die from Sizzix Bigz
Hot glue gun
Acrylic paints in translucent brown, copper metallic and quinacridone gold
What to do:
1. Die cut the cogs shapes from Bubbalux (any colour is fine)
2. Glue the cut shapes together to form a holder that fits your candle base
3. Smear pumice paste randomly and leave to dry
4. Give the whole holder a black gesso base coat
5. Dry brush a translucent brown/black acrylic paint all over
6. Dry brush a copper metallic acrylic paint
7. Repeat steps 5 and 6
8. To finish, thin down and sparingly apply the Quinacridone Gold paint on the areas over the pumice paste.
9. Spritz with water and leave to dry.
There are many ways to craft Bubbalux so that it looks like other materials - from metal, to wood, to lace - it's a true chameleon of the crafting world!
Kay Molyneux will be demonstrating this simple but effective rusting technique on the Hochanda CraftTex special on Wednesday 7th August at 8am - set your reminders now to record, or tune in and watch!